F9 - Network interface disabled after each reboot

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Fri Apr 25 09:48:49 UTC 2008

Christopher,

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:29 +0100, Christopher Mocock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a strange problem with Fedora 9 Preview. At first I couldn't
> get my network port to be configured by Network Manager. There are no
> details of it in the NetworkManager configuration screens and I can't
> "Add" it as all the buttons are greyed out.
>
> Frustrated by the inability to do anything with NM, I decided instead to
> use system-config-network. The NIC is listed there so I configured it,
> made sure to check the "start interface on boot" button. Unticked the
> box which lets NetworkManager control the interface.
>
> Now when I activate the interface in system-config-network, it works
> fine, but every time I reboot it's disabled again.
>
> I've tried unchecking the "Enable Networking" button in NetworkManager
> but that makes no difference - and annoyingly is always checked again
> after a reboot.
>
> System-wise, I started with the F9 Preview and have done a couple of yum
> updates so I'm up-to-date. The onboard NIC is an Intel 82562EZ 10/100
> (e100 module).
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening? Is Network Manager likely to be
> the culprit, and if so, is it fairly safe to uninstall?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Network Manager is pretty much a justifiable suspect for hair loss,
weight gain, or why your car is suddenly getting really poor gas
mileage.

Stop any NetworkManager* services that may be running. Use chkconfig to
make sure they will not fire up at reboot. Use system-config-network to
configure and fire up your networking. Have a look
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to verify that onboot=yes

This should take of things, one would hope.

Oh, and yes, it's quite safe to uninstall NM.

Andy