Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 05:13:46 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I find the comment interesting as well here
>
>> Why should I be interested in a distribution
>> that makes it difficult for me to make my own
>> choices about whether a license is acceptable
>> or not? I don't have a problem with downloading my
>> own copy of any particular code from any particular
>> place under any conditions that I find acceptable.
>
> It is very legitimate.  If something does not work the
> way you want it, you have to go your own way and while
> Fedora does not open the doors fully open, it does not
> close the doors to you either.

So you like it because it's not quite impossible to do what you want?

> If some software is illegal, what will the big guys do
> to a little guy?  Will they sue me because I have
> nonfree stuff?

If they had any sense, they would arrange simple ways for you to get
legal, licensed copies.  And the OS would go out of its way to make sure
that the one such copy you obtain continues to run for at least the life
of your machine.  With Java, getting the copy is matter of accepting the
form as you download from the Sun site - getting fedora to recognize
that you have a JVM installed for the packages that need one is a whole
different matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com