postgres startup blues: pre-existing shared memory block (key 5432001, ID 0) is still in use

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sat Apr 26 05:52:15 UTC 2008

Dear Folks,

On 26/04/08 15:26 +1000, Dan wrote:
> Nick Urbanik wrote:
>
>> HINT:  If you're sure there are no old server processes still running,
>> remove the shared memory block with the command "ipcclean", "ipcrm",
>> or just delete the file "postmaster.pid".
>
> Does a postmaster.pid or postmaster.5432.pid exist in /var/run?

No.

> If so you could try deleting that.

Yes, it was the first thing I looked for.

I have also done the following:

$ sudo -u postgres ipcclean
Shared memory 0 ... cannot remove id 0 (Operation not permitted)
$ sudo ipcrm -q 5432001
ipcrm: invalid id (5432001)
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org
I disclaim, therefore I am.
"What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate
supported on the back of a giant disclaimer."
"What is the disclaimer standing on?"
"But it's disclaimers all the way down!"    (sorry Stephen Hawking.)