Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 16:45:45 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> been so long that I have forgotten the reason but I know that it was
>>> simultaneous to migration to 2.6 kernel that occurred with FC2.
>>>
>>> anyway...openvpn is indeed available...
>>
>> I guess I gave up looking for it after only a few years...
> ---
> the impatience of youth...

Remote offices have this thing about not liking to be down for years.

> As someone who used cipe way back when, I found it rather trivial to
> build openvpn from source and install it so I wasn't much put out
> anyway. Then of course, simultaneous with 2.6 kernels, we got openswan
> support.

That's fine for 'your' box.  What do you do about the rest of the mesh?
  There's one under a desk somewhere in Switzerland that's still routing
through one of my RH 7.3 systems.  The guy who drove over from London to
build it no longer works for the company. And IPsec is difficult or
impossible to run through NAT which we have at both ends.

> Sometimes I think you just bitch for the sake of bitching.

In this case I brought it up as the counterpoint to someone who said
that proprietary software could be abandoned and leave you hanging.
That's not unique to proprietary software, and even if it were it's not
an OS distribution's business to protect you from it other than by
making it easy to use alternatives.  Likewise, I'll bring up linux
firewire support compared the Mac's anytime someone tries to say that
proprietary drivers are always bad.  It's not about bitching so much as
a reality check for other people's lies supporting their own agendas.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com