fedora 8 hacked?

tom lee freemail168 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 16:49:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because, if you keep writing to a corrupted filesystem you can end up
> destroying the entire filesystem completely and lose *ALL* of your data and
> that is worse.

I agree with you. That is why I think the OS should better off with
reboot "showdown -r -F now"
instead of mounting as read-only. if there is potencial disk problem,
you need to run this command anyway no matter what problems you may
find before rebooting.

> The problem is that it may or may not crash before it destroys the
> filesystem competely, and if the OS is written robustly it should not crash
> just because the filesystem tables are corrupted (and Linux has done some
> testing with something that puts random data on the filesystem to make sure
> that it does not crash in those random corrupted data cases).
>

> > > From this perspective, I  think microsoft way of crasing is a better
> > >
> > design. at least you know some wrong right away and reboot the
> > computer automatically can get it fixed.
> >

> That was not their design, MS tends to try to work around errors rather than
> report the errors, so if then you get an error, it tries to cope and then
> you get a completely unrelated cryptic error that really tells you nothing.
> If if the crash said nothing useful to identify the failing component is it
> useless, you have no idea what to fix, just crashing tells someone nothing.
>
> If you had checked dmesg there should have been a clear error indicating
> what happened, if all of the partitions on the filesystem were RO then I
> would suspect that the disk itself quit talking, next time make sure to
> check dmesg and see what it says.

ok. so it is too late to check since I already rebooted the OS?

Thanks.

Tom