fedora 8 hacked?

dwight at supercomputer.org dwight at supercomputer.org
Sat Apr 26 20:20:19 UTC 2008

<rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen the RO remount a number of times on lots of different
> HW/kernel/dist combinations, it is can be any number of issues,
> from a real hardware issue, a hardware driver issue, a filesystem
> driver issue, a bios issue, a main kernel issue, ... it has a lot
> of causes.

You are absolutely correct, and I think you've gotten to the heart of
the issue.

And to reiterate, dmesg is your friend when this happens.

Personally, I'd be a little suspicious of the Adaptec raid, as I've
had issues with their fake-raid chips which are so common.

I'd also add that I've become a big fan of running on a RO root
filesystem, though that's intentionally set up and configured to do
so during startup. RH/CentOS/Fedora all have the hooks built in to
do this, but one has to understand the issues associated with it,
and I don't recommend it for everyone.

   -dwight-