video cards for linux?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Apr 27 02:54:43 UTC 2008

Tom Poe wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> How about explore the software and spend as little as reasonable.
>>> Tom
>>
>> OK...
>>
>> What cards have you considered and what is your budget?  What
>> interface type is your system?
>>
> I'm running Dell OptiplexGX260, x11, FC8, and found a Dell Forum that
> mentioned Radeon9250, so that card has come up twice, now.  The fact
> that it is used on Dell OptiplexGX260, is a good thing.  The price is
> $62.48 including shipping.  Does that sound reasonable to you?

Very. I avoid the nVidia stuff because the drivers in the kernel are not
full featured and the ones with features are not open source. I've been
happy with ATI, although I try to buy system boards with built in video
when I can, I don't game, the drivers are fast enough for watching
movies or TV, and I can add a better board after the system is otherwise up.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>