Does Xterm support horz and vert scrolling?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Apr 27 02:49:41 UTC 2008

I know that Xterm supports vertical scolling as it had for
many years, but does it support horizontal scrolling?
                                          ^
To clarify, vertical scolling is  | and horizontal scrolling is: <-->

Seems to me I coulda sworn that xterm did support horizontal
scrolling but alas - I cannot prove it!  I must be getting old,  really,
really old. :D

I was working with cygwin on w2kPro (yeah, yeah, I know this is a
Fedora site), and I liked that I could open the Cygwin command window
that supports H & V scrolling, setting xterm to nowrap, stty columns to 810,
and exec a tail -f on an ansi colorized log file that has a very long line
width of just over 800 characters per line) and I was able to use the URL
line such as:
1) tail -f "\\\\winHost\\d$\\Program File\\Exchsrvr\\EventSink\\Log\\aTracker.log"

The above scenario works well.

But I was shite-out-of-luck trying to get the same log monitoring capability
using Cygwin's windowmaker session in win2kPro since xterm does not
seem to support H-scroll but can access the URL log file, but with Fedora,
I have two problems: H-Scroll does work nor can I tail an SMB file such as:
2) tail -f smb://winHost/D%24/Program%20File/Exchsrvr/EventSink/Log/aTracker.log
I also tried the URL in (1) above and nope that did not work either.

Any suggestions?

Checked by AVG.