Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 18:31:52 UTC 2008

--- Francis Earl <lunitik at gmail.com> wrote:

> > if rh desktop was not doing what customers want,
> they would not buy it
> > just for support.
>
> That's just it, RH Desktop _does_ do what it's
> customers want... thing
> is, what is the target audience of RH Desktop?
>
> Consumers expect an entirely different set of
> functionality, and today,
> Linux is still behind the curb there. The groups
> that are packaging
> Linux to target these groups aren't doing a very
> good job of advertising
> and educating those users either. They are simply
> facilitating the kinds
> of things that made FOSS appealing in the first
> place, they are
> continuing to allow users to be locked into
> proprietary models.
>
> Who is that helping? You think users would continue
> to use AAC (iPOD) or
> MP3 etc if they knew they do not own that media they
> just paid $1 for?
> Apple is currently the largest distributor of music
> in the world, users
> can't even share that music with their friends
> legally. One dollar is a
> small figure, but how much is Apple making for
> basically just allowing
> users to listen?

Apparently some of the MP3 patents are supposedly
dying out, but not so soon :(

http://www.tunequest.org/a-big-list-of-mp3-patents/20070226/

As for the apple Ipod, and others they can get hacked
and unpaid music can be placed onto them.  I have some
students that are very bright in this area, they put
music onto cell phones without paying for the music.
They are sharp with computers and electronics but ask
them about academics and they do not answer.  They do
need to be dissapointed with Apple as they do not care
what they do, they know that someone, somewhere is
working to ensure that they can do other things that
Apple did not want them to do. :)

Regards,

Antonio