Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 18:54:29 UTC 2008

Francis Earl wrote:

> Who is that helping? You think users would continue to use AAC (iPOD) or
> MP3 etc if they knew they do not own that media they just paid $1 for?

If we leave DRM out of the picture (and AAC doesn't necessarily imply
DRM) there's no difference in these formats than in any other forms used
for consumer sales.  That is, if you buy a CD or DVD, there are
licensing fees involved for the devices that play them.  Those do not
really have much to do with the concept of your ownership of the
physical media.

> Apple is currently the largest distributor of music in the world, users
> can't even share that music with their friends legally.

Again, no distinction from other types of media distribution.  Paying
for your copy doesn't give you the right to make additional copies or
redistribute them.

 > One dollar is a
> small figure, but how much is Apple making for basically just allowing
> users to listen?

Apple doesn't create this content and doesn't keep all of the dollar -
it's not really up to them as a distributor to give additional rights to
the buy.

> Users do that willingly though, and complain if they're not able to be
> ripped off in such ways. That is what RedHat is fighting in the consumer
> space, and why they aren't willing to invest millions trying to appeal
> to these people.

RedHat can hardly complain about restrictions on additional copies of
music when they place the same kind of restriction on the software they
distribute, requiring it to only be installed on a single computer.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com