Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:00:05 UTC 2008

> Greater share of platforms? why? If you define success by marketshare
> then M$ won long ago. Everyone else might as well curl up in a corner
> with their knees to their chest and blubber. You say you want to
> *take* market share but what ever for?what will you do with the
> marketshare once you have it?Spend all your time wondering how to keep
> people from jumping ship that's what.

I disagree, I believe RedHat and others WILL gain marketshare eventually
on the consumer desktop. I think they will just take their time to do it
CORRECTLY. If companies like RedHat are effective, then the consumers
demands will change. It takes time to educate people that do not want to
be educated though, that is the battle for RedHat.

Linux is leading the embedded space, and the server space as far as I
know, that is where the future is. Consumers won't continue to demand
PC's, they want cell phones and similar devices to do everything their
PC's do today. The industry doesn't want Microsoft or another large
company to control that space though, which is why they're turning to
Linux. As Linux devices take off, there will be less demand for Windows
as such things will work easily on the Linux desktop.