So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

kwhiskerz kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 00:43:25 UTC 2008

I, for one:

-love fedora (began in 97 or 98 with redhat 5 and never left). I try other
distros long enough to get them installed, for about 5 minutes, but NEVER
migrate my personal information to any other system, as I see, time and
again, that it is all just Linux and Fedora has the best support and
maintenance. It is simply reliable. I use fedora-testing, so occasionally
there might be a glitch that takes 2-3 days to get repaired. In all, a super
distro!

-rpm and yum are solid and reliable and simply work. I have tried at least 3
installations of Kubuntu and apt broke on the very first update and I
couldn't even get the sytem updated from the live cd to the new versions on
the repository - that is not good.

-I do get impatient with Fedpora sometimes, as it could sometimes be more
bleeding edge for my taste (I read about cool things I want to try, hence
install, as mentioned above, but this distro is where everything works).

-new kernels bring new features, repair problems, and to my glee, whenever
something has not quite worked or gotten broken, a couple of days later and
voilà, a new kernel and a reboot and I am again happy.

-I love the updates. So many new features, and I just can't wait to try them,
and I wake up in the morning to see a whole slew of new fixes. I just can't
wait to install them.

Fedora is simply mature, well-maintained, reliable and serious... suitable for
anyone, even beginner (as I was when I began with redhat), who wishes to get
the computer out of the back pocket and onto the desktop.

Keep up the superb work, guys!