So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Apr 28 00:39:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:46:33AM +0930, Tim wrote:
> You make some good points, but a couple of yours can be rebutted.
>
> Charles Curley:

> > * While I am glad to see the Fedora live CDs, they are klunky compared
> >   to the Ubuntu/Knoppix/Finnix live CDs I have used. For one thing, on
> >   shutdown those live CDs will eject the CD and wait for you to remove
> >   them from the drive.
>
> You may not want the disc ejected.  You might want it to stay in the
> drive, so the computer boots the live disc again, without anyone having
> to put the disc back in the drive.

Handy if you are planning to reboot to the same CD. Not so handy if
you are planning to reboot to a different one or shut the machine
down. With the Debian live CDs, if you plan to reboot to the same one,
you simply leave it in the drive. The boot firmware will usually close
the drive, and away you go.