openldap + kmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Apr 28 13:32:41 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I should have said that I'm hoping to maintain my address book
> with phpLDAPadmin, which as far as I can see more or less forces one
> to choose a standard schema.
>
> I guess the solution in my case is to get edit the LDIF
> created by kaddressbook, and then keep the address book on my LDAP server.

Sorry to reply to my own message,
but I'm finding the use of openldap with kmail is still baffling me.

I've set up an LDAP Address Book, and access it using phpLDAPadmin.
I really like this setup, which meets all my requirements,
and is very easy to use - adding new entries or editing old entries
over the web is as simple as one could wish for.

My only remaining problem is that I have not been able
to access this address book through kmail/kaddressbook.

When I go to KAddressBook=>Settings=>Configure KAddressBook
and click on LDAP Lookup=>Add Host,
I give my DN as "dc=www,dc=xyz,dc=com".
If I choose Security: No and Authentication: Anonymous
and click on Query Server, it appears to be accepted.
A small window flashes up and disappears in a fraction of a second.
The only thing I can read on it is "0%" (I think).

If I change to Security: TLS then I get the error
"LDAP server returned the error: Not Supported".
If I change to Security: SSL I get a similar but different error.

If I return to Security: No and choose Authentication: Simple
I am asked for User and Password.
I'm not sure what User is meant
but as far as I can see whatever I give is accepted.
(I try "Manager" which is the openldap "user" I specified
when setting up the LDAP directory,
with or without the password I gave then,
and I also give my own username on the server,
with and without the password;
in all cases the entry seems to be accepted.)

But if I now check the host I have given,
and click on Apply and OK,
I find nothing in the Address Book Browser - KaddressBook window
which comes up.
If I go to Tools=>Search for Addresses in Directory - KAddressBook
and enter anything in the Search box, eg for Name,
I get the error
"LDAP server returned the error: Invalid DN syntax
Additional info: invalid DN
The LDAP URL was: ldap://www.xyz.com:389".

I've written out my experience above at some length
largely for my own records,
but if anyone has successfully accessed an address book
on their openldap directory,
I should be very grateful to learn their method.

I might say that I am still awaiting the Gerald Carter book,
but I guess in any case that this is a KMail issue
rather than anything to do with LDAP.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
(I'd be happy to give my true hostname
if anyone is willing to try my LDAP server with their kmail.)

"