Eth0 not active at startup

Bob Latham bob.latham at castlehigh.plus.com
Mon Apr 28 14:39:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am almost a complete newbie to Linux and I apologise for asking about
something very dumb right away.

I want to use Fedora to run a couple of network sockets on two networks
with Samba shares and a simple FTP server - that's all.

I'm having problems trying to set a static IP address on eth0. I can get
it to work but it has to be "activated" by hand each time I start the
machine. There is an option "Activate device when computer starts" but
although ticked, it appears to do nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Bob.