Anyone know the LVM UUID Format?

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Mon Apr 28 16:59:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 02:12 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 03:10:49PM -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> > I want to be able to generate random UUIDs for use in LVM
>
> The lvm commands will generate random UUIDs for you.

Ah, but there's no --uuid option for lvchange ;)  I've asked about that
in the past, stating that option exists, but undocumented for pvchange
and vgchange.  In order to change the UUID of a LV, I have to export the
config, change the values, then import it back in.  Hence my wanting to
generate a random UUID.  If there is an option to just spit a UUID to
STDOUT, I'll take that.

--Tim
/ Suffocating together ... would create heroic camaraderie.            \
\                 -- Khan Noonian Singh, "Space Seed", stardate 3142.8 /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )