rtl811/8168

David Gehrt dlg at inanity.net
Mon Apr 28 22:40:11 UTC 2008

> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 01:31 -0700, David Gehrt wrote:
> >  Of course HP does not support Linux (or FreeBSD for that matter).
>
> They did, for quite awhile. Did they get in a snit with Linux? I must
> have missed that.

A while back I bought a small desk-side system, installed Linux and HP
refused to register it.  A few years ago I moved from the bay Area to
the Central Coast of California.  Having built white box systems for over
20 years I now find no reasonable close source of parts (I miss Fry's
and the other parts stores in The Bay Area).  When my mail system
recently,and surprisingly went tits up I had to buy another system.  HP
being the only reasonably priced option, I bought one, but I also bought
a new 1TB disk.  After I got the system registered with HP (warranties are
good) I hauled out the Vista (gag) disk and put F8 on the new disk.  But
this is a pretty lousy way to lousy way to operate IMHO.

> They do a great job with printers for Linux. You gotta
> hand them that one. No wonder, they make just as much money for supplies
> off of us as they do Windows users! Every time I turn around, the damn
> color cartridge is dry. My old Teletype 44 needed a new ribbon about
> once a year, for half the price. :) Ric

I agree. My Samsung ML-7300N quit feeding paper, so I replaced it with
an  HP P2015. Seems to have been a good move, but I am still on the
original cartridge.

dlg