Why Restart & Shutdown Buttons on login screen

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 29 14:49:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 08:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I guess I am confused. I can not find an option
> in /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf or in gdmsetup which controls the
> display of restart and shutdown in the login screen. I am having
> trouble finding the line that causes Face browser to show up.

You pick a theme that doesn't have them, or use the built-in plain login
greeter which lets you turn them on and off, then set the login options
to disallow changing the theme.  Or you could change the commands called
by GDM if someone picked those shutdown or reboot options (set them to a
command that does nothing).

# Reboot, Halt and suspend commands, you can add different commands separated
# by a semicolon.  GDM will use the first one it can find.
RebootCommand=/sbin/reboot;/sbin/shutdown -r now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -r now;/usr/bin/reboot
HaltCommand=/sbin/poweroff;/sbin/shutdown -h now;/usr/sbin/shutdown -h now;/usr/bin/poweroff

# Enable the Face browser.  Note that the Browser key is only used by the
# standard login (gdmlogin) program.  The Face Browser is enabled in
# the Graphical greeter by selecting a theme that includes the Face
# Browser, such as happygnome-list.  The other configuration values that
# affect the Face Browser (MinimalUID, DefaultFace, Include, Exclude,
# IncludeAll, GlobalFaceDir) are used by both the Standard and Themed
# greeter.
Browser=false

# The Actions menu (formerly system menu) is shown in the greeter, this is the
# menu that contains reboot, shutdown, suspend, config and chooser.  None of
# these is available if this is off.  They can be turned off individually
# however.
#SystemMenu=true

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.