Problem loading Fedora

rlengland at verizon.net rlengland at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 15:46:17 UTC 2008

>From: Darrick Fitzgerald Ward <dward at chicagogsb.edu>
>Date: 2008/04/29 Tue AM 10:17:32 CDT
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Problem loading Fedora

>I am trying to load fedor 6 on my Dell Dimension 4300 and it keeps getting stuck at Formating/File System.  I am trying to understand how to get pass this or if there is something I need to do.
>
>I know that fedora 6 is old but I could only find fedora 8 on dvd and my pc will not boot from a dvd.  I used to have windows xp on this pc but it crashed and I no longer have any of my pc disc or windows disc after a move I made a year ago.
>
>I am a novice but I am smart and hopefully can start using linux and learn quickly.
>
>Thank you,
>
>--

Darrick,
You should give more details about what "stuck" means.

What messages are you seeing when this occurs?

What options did you select while going through the installation?

Did you elect to remove the XP partition, for instance?

What the hardware is (disk  type and size,  mother board, etc.)

What happened when your XP installation "crashed".  It is possible that you have a permanent problem with your disk.  Does XP still function in some damaged mode?

There are a lot of smart folks on this list but they need a better understanding of where you are and how you got there.

~~R

~~R