How to find/change machine name

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 29 16:47:10 UTC 2008

On Tuesday April 29 2008 10:07:36 am Bob Latham wrote:
> > Things to keep in mind (approaches will vary depending on
> > whether you're using KDE or Gnome):
>
> How do I find out?

well, there are all sorts of ways, but, probably the easiest is
to just check down at the bottom of the login screen when you're
asked for your password, there should be some options down there
you can select and one is probably called 'Session' or something
like that, and it will pop up and offer you whatever desktops
you've got installed as selections to boot into - if you don't
know what you've got, it's probably Gnome, because KDE would
have required that you go into customization options when you
installed your system and consciously select it - that is,
unless you installed from the live kde-cd - if you have panels
both at the bottom and top of your screen, then it's almost
surely Gnome

> > snip............
>
> > gets you into the redhat firewall configuration utility if
> > you're not using any others such as Shorewall or Firestarter
> > Test each machine you want to participate in your network to
> > see if you can ping it from the others, and whether it can
> > ping the others...

do you know how to ping?

> > There are Selinux related commands you
> > must run depending on what you want to do - watch your
> > Setroubleshoot warnings and messages to see if you're
> > getting smb and nmb related denials.

> > Finally, you may run
> > into some rather esoteric issues if you're attempting to run
> > the latest KDE4 with DCOP errors - check your system logs
> > for DCOP related errors if you think you've got everything
> > else right, and if you're running some flavor of KDE4...
>
> Now that got complicated and I don't understand that bit. I
> have now moved on a little but am now getting an error....
>
> SELinux AVC Denial - flashing banner I can't stop!!!!!
> SELinux is preventing the Samba daemon from reading user's
> home directories.

Don't worry about the DCOP stuff. I doubt you're going to have
that issue. What version of Fedora are you running? Bets are off
if it's F9...
On the Selinux warnings, just click on the little star icon that
should be appearing near your flashing error message - it should
open up a window with some informative messages about the
problem and suggestions on commands to run to fix them

> I'm stumped again!
>
> I suppose I should do some reading to find out what on earth
> SELinux is and then how to switch some of it off.
>
> Flipping complicated just to share a folder this linux stuff.
> <smile>

even Windows is complicated the first time you ever try to use
it - Linux is takes a bit more tweaking but you should be able
to get it -

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA