flatbed scanner?

Bradley Pursley pursley001 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 17:24:46 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> The last time I got a new scanner I spent about a week
> correlating the lists of scanners actually available for
> purchase with the list of supported devices on the sane
> web pages (99.999% of which are models that are out of
> production :-).
>
> Has anyone recently purchased a flatbed scanner with good
> linux support? (I mostly want it for documents and such,
> not photo or negative scanning).
>
> The Canoscan LIDE 60 I wound up with at the end of the first
> painful search has apparently died the real death. It doesn't
> show up as a USB device at all. If it had a fuse, I'd say
> it had blown it :-). Naturally they are up to LIDE 90 now
> (60 no longer made), and the 90 isn't supported in sane.

This may not be what you're asking for but I am using a Brother MFC and
Brother has very good Linux support on seemingly most of their products
including their own drivers for Linux. I was able to download and
successfully use their drivers for printing, scanning and faxing.

If you want to check out what products they have Linux support for, you
can try this Link:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

Bradley