flatbed scanner?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 19:04:12 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Tom Horsley wrote:
>The last time I got a new scanner I spent about a week
>correlating the lists of scanners actually available for
>purchase with the list of supported devices on the sane
>web pages (99.999% of which are models that are out of
>production :-).
>
>Has anyone recently purchased a flatbed scanner with good
>linux support? (I mostly want it for documents and such,
>not photo or negative scanning).
>
>The Canoscan LIDE 60 I wound up with at the end of the first
>painful search has apparently died the real death. It doesn't
>show up as a USB device at all. If it had a fuse, I'd say
>it had blown it :-). Naturally they are up to LIDE 90 now
>(60 no longer made), and the 90 isn't supported in sane.

Tom, I've had great luck so far with an Epson 1250-u.  With xsane its done
every scan I ever asked it to do now for at least 5 years.  While the model
numbers may increment so its likely a 1290-u by now, I suspect any of that
family would be a dropin replacement for it.  Also, its a plustek at heart I
believe.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)