Sound input problems on Shuttle SN68PTG5

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 21:58:08 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Just out of interest, is it the same with this newer Audacity version?
>
>   http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacity/audacity-1.3.4-0.4.20080123cvs.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> There's also a x86_64 build in the same directory.
>
> Also, try "alsamixer" in a terminal and mute as many input/effect
> channels as possible.

Michael, thanks for your input.

Yes - it still happens with that newer Beta of audacity.  I'm fairly
convinced it's not an audacity problem - I'm just using that program
because it has a stereo visual sound meter.  My experience with Skype
with a mic plugged in was similar - very noisy and sound only on left.
Right channel seems completely dead.  Playback is perfect.

Changing settings with alsamixer - I do have just about everything
muted.  If I increase the "Capture" gain then the noise level is
amplified to the point where I can max out the channel.  I could mail
you my asound.state if that would make any sense?

Interestingly alsamixer in a terminal _does_ recognise the chip as
Realtek ALC888, whereas Fedora soundcard detection only offered me
ALC883.  So despite my worry in an earlier post maybe the driver isn't
confused after all - just buggy?

Mike