Cleanest way to upgrade F7 to F9 (when the time comes)

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 29 22:04:40 UTC 2008

McGuffey, David C. wrote:
> I'll tidy up all the Windoze files onto the drive shared by samba,
> dismount it, save any other data to the USB disk, and do a DVD upgrade.
> If something goes wrong, I'll have the data to restore.
>
> There is actually plenty of space on the samba share (an ex3 partition),
> that I may just tar the user and config data I want to save there, and
> not worry about the USB disk.
I have previously forgotten about databases for mysql that get stored in
/var/ {eg mythtv} . I should have dumped the db and put it elsewhere
before telling the installer to format my /.
Other stuff like web site html etc also live there, so you might not
want to format that part of the disk like I did.

Take a package list:
rpm -qa >rpm-qa.txt   so that it is easier to get back your faves if
something goes wrong

rpm -Va >rpm-Va.txt   since that indicates files that differ from the
installed rpm, and therefore picks up many of the config files that have
been changed. {Not all because some configs are separate files that
happen to be in a config directory}.

DT