****Re: openldap + kmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Apr 30 12:20:06 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>> It's not unreasonable to ask for an example. The average user has zero
>> interest in finding out how LDAP works, and a lot of interest in getting
>> his contacts working.
> ----
> Yes - it actually is unreasonable since there is no standard way of
> setting up LDAP address books.
>
> Since we seem to keep having this discussion...let me restate so we are
> clear.
>
> There simply is no standard for LDAP address books.
>
> There simply is no standard way to set anything up in LDAP...it's an
> erector set.
>
> Feel free to write up something that explains how to set up LDAP and
> integrate client applications such as address book clients.

You obviously know far more about this than me,
and you have been very helpful to me on this subject,
but I feel you are being far too sweeping here.

My conclusion after hitting my head against the wall many times
is that by far the simplest way to do anything with openLDAP
is through phpLDAPadmin, which really does make the construction
of an LDAP "directory" quite straightforward.
(PhpMyAdmin does much the same for MySQL -
are they both written by the same person or team? -
I have found them two of the most useful tools in Linux.)

PhpLDAPadmin offers an Address Book template for adding entries,
which does seem to me to provide a more or less standard address book,
with entries following the inetOrgPerson objectClass.