f8: PC dies while using firefox

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 30 17:47:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:57 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > resources are strained.  If you leave firefox unattended whil it is
> > hooked on to some web page that is running crap on your system, well,
> > I guess you get what you deserve.
>
> echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
>
> and your system will refuse to overallocate resources. You may need more
> swap that way but as all the resource really does exist your computer
> shouldn't do an impression of the rather analogous US housing market by
> handing out more than exists and then finding it all in use.
>
> Alan

My most recent test showed no effect on swap (1G Ram in the machine and
0 swap used).  But Acroread was consuming 100% of one processor.  I have
also re-acquired a problem I had with early F7 where I am getting
frequent "Connection reset by remote host" messages and also lots of
interrupted page loads on firefox (probably related).

I am going to see if the logs can tell me anything now.  On F7 they were
not much help.

Regards,
Les H