X config damaged by power failure

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 30 20:00:32 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> I've had a UPS for at least the last 5 years (not the same one) since
> power here is iffy even at the best of times. At the moment I use an APC
> 1KVA unit. Unfortunately for reasons I can't quite fathom my machine
> still doesn't survive power outages even though the other stuff on the
> UPS (monitor, DSL modem, router, printer) all do. I've checked the earth
> (ground) connection and it looks OK, and the UPS light shows green, i.e.
> all OK. The UPS is only a year old so it can't be the battery.
>
> poc

It could be the time it take to switch between line power and
battery. It tends to be more common with fully loaded power
supplies. There is not enough reserve in the filter caps or
something to carry over the loss of a cycle or two. A UPS that will
also compensate for line voltage tends to have less of a problem
with this because there isn't the abrupt changeover.

Mikkel