moving /home

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:22:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 17:42 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I want to move /home to another internal disk.
> I know how to make the partition and to copy files to it.
> What I'm not sure of is how to change things so that
> the new partition automatically mounts as /home .
> If I edit fstab and reboot will it stick?
> Is fstab the point of truth or
> will some program "fix" it for me?
>
> I've read that editing fstab is the way to go,
> but I've also read that fstab is edited by programs.

It's "edited by programs" when you install the system. AFAIK no program
will change an existing fstab entry. How you edit it depends on how it's
currently set up, e.g. is your /home on:

a) a physical device partition (/dev/sda1): just edit fstab to change
the old partition for the new one.

b) a logical volume (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02). See the LVM
documentation for how to include the partition in the appropriate
logical and physical group and leave fstab alone.

3) a labelled partition (LABEL=/home): label the new partition (see
e2label(8)) and add or change the entry in fstab if necessary.

d) a UUID device (UUID=f3cf7586-fc2a-46d3-82a3-2a985cf30385): create a
UUID for the new partition using uuidgen(1) and copy it into fstab.

poc