Xvfb - desperate -- help needed...

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 05:57:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried installing Kubuntu to Mom's machine. It failed to reboot. Tried
> Mandrake, same deal. Installed CentOS, installed and rebooted like a
> charm. But, I'm still having the issue with Java's Wonderland launching
> X11 applications from with it, using Xvfb. On the Wonderland list,
> everyone says it works like a charm from Ubuntu. Right outa the box.
> <sighs>  I really don't want to install it, but I gotta have the X11
> applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)
>
> Dinking around I had an AhHa! moment. I spotted this in /etc/profile
> # Start the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
> #if [ -f /usr/bin/Xvfb ]; then
> #/usr/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x16
> #fi
>
> # Set the DISPLAY variable for the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
> #export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0
>
> These are commented out, as of course you can see, from the get-go. I
> tried uncommenting them out and X froze up. So, just maybe I'm closer to
> a solution? Would you enable one or both? I did both and it froze.
> Anyone have a clue what's happening or what effects this to fail, yet be
> included in this pretty-much standard file?? Thanks, Ric
>
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> https://oar.dev.java.net/
> Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Hi Ric!

The little I know of virtual frame buffers is that they are used to
test hardware or provide a virtual KVM for an X client.   I think you
simply want to get X11 running.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb

For that I would be looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (along with /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg).

I do hope you find what you need.

Tod