Idle thoughts or question re: dual booting and grub default !?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Mon Aug 11 17:33:15 UTC 2008

Hi;

As I think about it ...

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:10 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have a dual boot system WindowsXP on /dev/sda; Fedora on /dev/sdb.
>
> Some days I find myself switching between the two quite often.  I can
> also go weeks with no need of Windows.
>
> I am not sure if what I propose is possible, but ...
>
> I would like to create a script in Fedora, and a .bat in Windows that
> changes the default in grub when selected.  I would have a desktop
> launcher in both systems to be used for restarting.  The alogarithm
> would be something like what follows:
>
>      1. set grub default to other OS
>      2. restart
>
> Since re-booting takes a bit of time (particularly in WindowsXP), I
> could simply click my 'restart in other OS' icon and walk away for a
> fresh coffee or to make a phone call without having to catch the grub
> selection screen.  The normal shutdown and restart would remain the
> same.
>
> Setting up a virtual machine is a solution but for much later for me.
>
> I am looking for pointers or suggestions; tips and tricks; on how these
> scripts and batch files might be written; or even if they are possible
> at all.
>
> I will take on the actual writing of them as a personal challenge.

No .bat file is necessary if there is some way to write a script that
selects Windows while I am in Fedora, yet retains the default Fedora
boot when in Windows.  Is there a way to set up a flag + an if statement
or something in the grub.config file and yet retains the usual default
configuration if I am not using my restart script?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3