help on installing fedora 9 on external disk

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 13 02:04:12 UTC 2008

Ravi writes:

>    Hi ,
>
>       I am planning to install fedora 9 on my external USB hard disk.
>    right now my laptop is having windows vista. how do I manage vista when
>    i unplug my USB hard disk because grub will be stored on external hard
>    disk.
>
>    I have a dvd with fedora 9 to install fedora 9
>
>    I should be able to work on fedora 9 when I plug in  my external hard
>    disk by providing options ( 1. fedora 9 2. windows vista )
>    when I plug out and reboot my laptop, it should automatically boot
>    windows vista without any problem.
>
>    I am very much worried what if fedora 9 installation corrupts my
>    windows vista MBR.

Try installing Grub on your external drive's master boot record, not your
primary hard drive's MBR, and see if there's a BIOS setting that boots the
system off the external USB drive, if one is present.

In theory, if your BIOS cooperates, if your USB drive is plugged in, it will
boot off the external drive's MBR, thus loading Grub. Unplug the drive, and
the system will boot off the primary hard drive, as usual.