F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 17:57:56 UTC 2008

> > If I create a video, I have to give someone on a DVD
> that they can play
> > in a standard player connected to their TV set.  Ogg
> theora output is
> > useless.
> >

> There is no perfect solution. Yes, the de-facto audio/video
> standards are
> patented encumbered.   Fedora ships the dvdauthor tool...
> ive never
> attempted to use it.. i should.
Can a good solution be to use the free stuff built for the EvilEmpire's OS and run them through wine?

There are a few applications that work fine through wine and were designed for windows users in mind.  There are ffmpeg, dvdauthor and the same free stuff(that is patent encumbered) made available for windows users that like to use them.  Why not use those through wine?

Some users have reported success with those.  Why not try them out?

> The fight for open standards never ends. I would give my
> i-teeth to see 1%
> of the heat caused by OOXML's iso process be moved over
> and aimed at
> encumbered video data format "standards".
>
> The fact that firefox is going to get native support for
> theora via the new
> <video> tag is good news however.
> http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=492.
>
> Open data formats are important. The establishment and use
> of open data
> formats for governments and municipality use are probably
> the most important
> issue facing modern digital societies.
Yes they are, but not making it easier to users to add support for the other stuff is also important.

> > The input side of things is similarly warped.  I need
> to be able to
> > import DV, and work on the files in their own format.
> Notwithstanding
> > the problems in trying to get video into a system on a
> virtually ignored
> > firewire port, converting digital video from one
> format to another is
> > not only wastefully time consuming, but damaging to
> video quality.
Here we have to make use of the EvilEmpireOS if we need to make things just work, unless of course via wine we can get those apps to work.

> hmm... dvgrab as shipped in F9 saw my camera on my firewire
> port just fine.
> And i can do simple clip manipulation of the dv footage
> pulled with dvgrab
> in pitivi then render it to whatever compressed formats
> gstreamer supports
> on the system...by default that would be theora.  Pitivi
> needs love, but
> I've had it work for me for simple needs. Honestly its
> the only application
> in the space that I think has the ability to be further
> developed..it just
> needs more attention.
There are many good things and apps already working, but for a better user experience many things can be better.

> -jef
> --

Regards,

Antonio