F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 14 18:35:38 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Telling us to move to another distro is not the correct answer.  Also to get it from livna or freshrpms might be an option, but is it the best alternative?

Ideally, we would see software patents going away but meanwhile we would
want to see good support for non patent encumbered codecs and supporting
them out of the box by using multimedia frameworks like gstreamer is the
best alternative we have and that is what Fedora does. Third party repos
makes it very easy to drop in the additional codecs as plugins.

As Jef noted, Firefox 3.1 will include native support for ogg (theora
for video and vorbis for audio) which is also a pretty good move. If you
disagree and want proprietary or patent encumbered codec support by
default, Fedora probably isn't the right choice for you.

Rahul