arping

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:02:54 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 18:25 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> But only /sbin/arping is used by default. So it is strange that there
>>> are two of them.
>> One is a symlink to the other.
>>
>> poc
>>
> That does answer the question of why there are two of them.

There aren't two of them as he said one is a symlink, the symlink in
/usr/sbin points to the arping in /sbin. It is essentially a shortcut,
like a desktop short cut that starts for example firefox. Its not
actually the program but a pointer to the file you want to execute. As
to why there is a symlink which seems to be your question, because some
other program or programs are coded to expect arping to be in /usr/sbin
rather than sbin so the symlink was created to satisfy this dependency
or the other programs would fail to find it and as a result fail to
execute as expected.

-Max

--
We can alter our perception of time, the importance of this fact seems
to be beyond the grasp of the majority