NetworkManager and special routing

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Aug 26 22:08:30 UTC 2008

Alan Evans wrote:
> [adding fedora-list back into the reply chain]
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
>
>> The file: /etc/sysconfig/static-routes is optional, and does not exist by
>> default.
>>
>> #This line forces multicast out of eth1
>> # any: net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth1
>> # for the lab, uncomment the next two lines
>> # This line forces a route to the local network
>> # any: net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev eth0
>> # This line will force a specific network over the primary interface
>> # any: net NNN.NNN.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0
>>

> Still no joy. But I'm still not sure I got it right. All of the
> examples seem to demonstrate routing a particular network through a
> particular interface. I only have one interface on this machine; what
> I wish to do is specify a particular gateway for use for a particular
> address. I tried:
>
> any: net NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN netmask 255.255.255.255 gateway 192.168.0.3
>
> as a guess, but nothing changed. Nothing in any log that I could find
> seemed to indicate whether NetworkManager was even trying to read this
> file.

Well, for a single host, it would be something like this:

any: host 10.10.10.10 gateway 192.168.1.1

But the question is still whether or not NetworkManager will obey this file.

Worst case scenerio we can write a NM dispatcher script to do it:

in: /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/

create a file called static, chmod 755 static, and add: (NOT tested):  I ripped the section from /etc/init.d/network.

#!/bin/sh

interface=$1
state=$2

case $state in
	up)
        # Add non interface-specific static-routes.
        if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/static-routes ]; then
           grep "^any" /etc/sysconfig/static-routes | while read ignore args ; do
              /sbin/route add -$args
           done
        fi
	;;