Folder permissions and Samba - question

Bob Latham bob.latham at castlehigh.plus.com
Wed Aug 27 14:17:54 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I want to setup a series of about a dozen folders that each have a Samba
share associated with them. Then I would like to place all of those inside
another folder that a super user can access and consequently all of the
lower ranking shared folders below.

I've been experimenting and the results have clearly shown that what I
expected to be the case certainly isn't. I thought I could create the
super user and samba share his/her folder then create the sub folders and
samba share them. I then thought it would be a simple case of setting the
folder permissions to suit the required users but this doesn't work. There
is obviously a bit more to it.

Anyone spare a few minutes to point me in the right direction on...?

1. How to give samba access to a folder that is not in /home/<user>. Or
   more specifically not the normal home directory.I can get shares to
   work from the normal home dirs.

2. How to get the super user access from above?

TIA.

Bob.