Xvfb - desperate -- help needed...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 00:42:56 UTC 2008

I tried installing Kubuntu to Mom's machine. It failed to reboot. Tried
Mandrake, same deal. Installed CentOS, installed and rebooted like a
charm. But, I'm still having the issue with Java's Wonderland launching
X11 applications from with it, using Xvfb. On the Wonderland list,
everyone says it works like a charm from Ubuntu. Right outa the box.
<sighs>  I really don't want to install it, but I gotta have the X11
applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)

Dinking around I had an AhHa! moment. I spotted this in /etc/profile
# Start the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
#if [ -f /usr/bin/Xvfb ]; then
#/usr/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x16
#fi

# Set the DISPLAY variable for the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
#export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0

These are commented out, as of course you can see, from the get-go. I
tried uncommenting them out and X froze up. So, just maybe I'm closer to
a solution? Would you enable one or both? I did both and it froze.
Anyone have a clue what's happening or what effects this to fail, yet be
included in this pretty-much standard file?? Thanks, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339