livcecd-iso-to-disk: USB key do not boot (BIOS setup is fine)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:27:38 UTC 2008

2008/8/1 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>

> Richard Shaw wrote:
>

>>    Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>>        You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I
>>        found it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and
>>        probably F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a
>>        boot device. The latest version is susposed to handle this
>>        automatically, but it has not make it to F8 yet.
>>
>>        Mikkel
>>

>> The livecd-iso-to-disk script does take care of this for you so I'm not
>> surprised.  If there are no errors generated then the USB drive and MB BIOS
>> may just not like each other. If you can afford to buy a different brand usb
>> memory stick I would try that. I use a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager stick and
>> it works fine in my HP 8510 laptop.
>>
>> Richard.
>>
>>  I am trying to find where it said that again, but I know I had to do it
> to make it work on my system when I used the livecd-iso-to-disk script from
> the F9 live CD and an F8 system. The latest syslinux for F8 is
> livecd-iso-to-disk script and you need version 3.5.0 or later for it to
> work. (The F8 livecd-iso-to-disk script does not support persistent
> overlays.
>
> There is a good howto at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
>

> Mikkel

I did notice the persistent overlay issue with the F8 version of
livecd-tools so I copied the script that liveusb-creator put on my flash
drive over my F8 version and it worked fine. Maybe more than the overlay
option was changed between versions? I didn't do a diff of the two but I may
do that when I get home from work.

Richard