Downloading IBM Lotus Symphony , Java problems

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Aug 1 22:28:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 12:23 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> > FC8-x86_64.
> > While trying to download *Lotus Symphony* the Download Director says I
> > have to have Jave enabled,
> > Firefox-3 , Java is enabled in preferences.
> > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03 is installed.
> >
> > What isn't working ??
> > I tried a http:// download but the IBM website won't let me.
> >
> Is it illegal to download Lotus Symphony in the U.S. , Read Warning below.

	Ok...  I'm presuming you're merely be facetious but someone might
actually take that seriously.

	1) The warning says nothing about it being illegal.  It merely says to
check the laws where you live.

	2) The download site is in the US.

	3) Possession of cryptography in the US has never been illegal.

	4) The import of cryptography to the US have never been illegal.

	5) The export of cryptography use to be illegal (under ITAR and earlier
EAR regulations) but, for open source software at least, restrictions
were abolished YEARS ago except for a requirement to register the sites
hosting the software.  No download restrictions on the clients.  Not
even the "know your customer" requirements or T7 restrictions for OSS
binaries and/or sources.

	For reference:  I'm the author of the original SSL code for fetchmail.
Yes, I really did talk to our lawyers about that before releasing the
code as OpenSource and posting it with Eric Raymond on his site.  That
was in the days BEFORE they made that legal.

	Mike