Creating a default keyring with passwd.

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.stanford.edu
Sat Aug 2 15:35:56 UTC 2008

I was never asked to set up a keyring, and whenever anything wants to
access it, I hit the "Deny" button and things seem to proceed ok.
gnome-keyring-manager was not even installed on my F8 system until
today, and when I tried running it, it complained it couldn't talk to
the daemon.  I found /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon via locate and ran
it manually (it's not in Services), and the manager STILL cannot talk
to the daemon.  For now, I'm giving up on the keyring and typing Deny
every time it comes up. There are definitely some bugs here, but I'm
not sure whose they are.  There needs to be a dependency that apps
such as Evolution and Network Manager can require in order to force
keyring setup. - jos

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 08:57 -0400, max bianco wrote:

>> > I tried this with no success. Which leaves me with the following
>> > questions:
>> > 1. Never before has evolution asked for keyring to store a passwd. I
>> > mean in versions before F8. How is one supposed to use evolution? No
>> > keyrings are defined at this point.
>> > 2, What is the name of the default keyring which evolution thinks exists
>> > and how do you set its passwd?
>> >

>> I use the keyring manager to deal with that. I only set it up on the
>> laptop to store the wireless key which is quite long. It burped a few
>> times when I first set it up but its been good for a while now. It
>> actually holds keys to a few access points that I have used. Its been
>> working quite well for me. I know that some have a less enthusiastic
>> opinion of it.
>>

>> -Max
> Ok, keyrings in conjunction with NM have worked before on my laptop.
> However to answer my questions as I got evolution to work. Evolution
> wanted the passwd to the default keyring. After fooling around with
> gnome-keyring-manager I determined that the keyring wanted was named:
> default-keyring. How is one supposed to know that? Another strange thing
> when I created the keyring with gnome-keyring-manager it was set up with
> a passwd. However when I used evolution I had to create the passwd for
> the keyring all over again.
>
> I can't believe that I was the only one to have this problem using F8.
> What did the rest of your do? Does F9 work differently?
> --

"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind