How add a path to fonts to xset?

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 15:48:36 UTC 2008

2008/8/2 Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com>:
>> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it,
>> I get the following:
>>
>> $ xset:  bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
>>    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>>    Directory missing fonts.dir
>>    Incorrect font server address or syntax
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Well, since F8 or F9, the X font server isn't installed or enabled by
> default.  So perhaps it's the 3rd item in the possible causes that's
> biting you?

Thanks, Todd. Now, xset does not complain, but when trying to run
Mathematica in graphical mode, I get the following error:

«An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
may not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
problem.»

I have just placed a post about this on the Mathematica newsgroup.

Any ideas?

Paul