Sorta OT - Cheap certificate authority?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 18:06:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 12:34 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Hey All -
>
> I am setting up a project for a buddy on a shoe-string budget and we
> need a site protected by SSL.  Self-signed won't cut it.  I looked at
> Verisign and to get a basic SSL cert from them is going to cost more
> than the whole hardware budget for the project!
>
> Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap CA?  Is there such a thing?

You can set up your own for free, e.g. OpenCA. What you have to decide
is if you need the CA to be recognized automatically by the usual
suspects (FF, IE etc.) or if you can get your users to follow
instructions for loading the CA data into their browsers. If it's the
former, you're stuck with the paid versions. Thawte used to be cheap
compared to Verisign, but I don't know if that is still true.

poc