F8/F9 Multiboot question

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Aug 3 03:08:51 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:47:13 -0700
> Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?
>
> chainloader is what I use. I've got a partition with nothing
> but grub on it (used to be a /boot partition for an old
> fedora, and I kept it around to just use for grub), and a
> grub.conf file that looks like:
>
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/zooty.xpm.gz
> title Fedora 8 x86_64
>         rootnoverify (hd0,2)
>         chainloader +1
> title Fedora 8 i386
>         rootnoverify (hd0,7)
>         chainloader +1
> title Fedora 9 x86_64
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         chainloader +1
> title Fedora 9 i386
>         rootnoverify (hd0,4)
>         chainloader +1
>
> In my case the different hats are all on one disk, and I tell
> the installer to install each system's grub in the boot partition
> rather than the MBR, but I think chainloading can cross disks
> as well with suitable modification of the rootnoverify gibberish.
>
> The beauty of this scheme is that kernel updates all just work.
> I don't have to fix anything after updating any kernel in any
> partition.

This sounds incredibly cool to me.  Can I press you to add a little
more detail?

What I'd like to know is, how can I convert my existing setup or
partition layout so that each of the Fedora partitions are bootable
with grub installed for which chain-loader will work?

In the past, I had nightmares trying to figure this out, and was not
successful, but then I was not using chain-loaders either. From my
past experiences, for some reason I got the idea that it was a no-no
to have /boot installed in / - I forget why exactly - but I found that
/boot worked if it had it's own partition which explains my particular
partition layout.  It would save me a partition for other uses if I can
get /boot embedded within / - that would be very cool!

I thank you for your suggestions!
Dan