Installing from DVD image via ftp

Knute Johnson linux at www.knutejohnson.com
Sun Aug 3 15:48:42 UTC 2008

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Since the CD/DVD drive  on a particular computer is unreliable, I am
> trying to install via ftp.
>
> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub directory of my
> ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I tried both the
> image, and the pub directory as the URL). In each case, it appears to
> be looking for a file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that -
> I don't have the message in front of me right now.).
>
> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find instructions.

Colin:

I'm certainly no expert but I've done several installs now via http.  I
copied the contents of my F9 DVD to my http server in a directory called
F9.  Boot the target computer with the boot.iso and tell it to load from
the http server and directory.  It is faster, even with a slow computer,
than loading from slow CDs.

I've never been able to remember how to mount an iso so that wasn't an
option for me.

--

Knute Johnson
linux at www.knutejohnson.com