Live USB-stick format

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 3 15:57:22 UTC 2008

I want F9 on a USB stick.  It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned with
using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or not.

Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive.  It lists
the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is not
bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk.  It says

 Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'

Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?

Anne