Disk error

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 19:42:13 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:19 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:00 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >> sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
> >> Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso: OK
> >
> > All that means is that the ISO file on your hard drive is not corrupted.
> > It says nothing about the DVD copy.
> >
> > poc
> >

> This is what I got:
>
>   sha1sum /dev/sr0
> 780a625141cc355305c9631f08981eb632cac0b9  /dev/sr0

I'm afraid telling us the hash value is of little use. It's either what
it's supposed to be (compare with the SHA1SUM file) or it isn't. If it
isn't, the DVD is bad. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Also, was the sha1sum run on the target machine or the source machine?
It's not clear from your earlier posts whether or not the laptop already
has a running Lnux system on it. If the check was run on the source
machine and passed, there could still be a problem with the target
machine.

Plus you still haven't said if you checked the *media*. The physical
composition of DVD blanks depends on the manufacturer and not all drives
work equally well with all brands. http://www.cdfreaks.com/media/ has a
lot of info on this kind of thing.

poc