How to swee youtube videos,

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 4 11:29:21 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> And that's your problem,

g:
> not my problem. if it cures having to change screen back and fort,
> then it works.

It certainly is, if you're going to bitch about other people's emails
not rendering intelligibly, as you've done before, when the only thing
wrong is that YOU are mangling them.  I think this episode is at least
the third time that you've moaned about someone's text, when there was
nothing wrong with it.

>> You have to use the correct encoding.

> it is not me using wrong encoding.

Erm, yes it is, when you force the client to believe an encoding is
being used, when it really isn't.  You were the one seeing mangled text,
the rest of us saw it quite fine.  The original post was sent correctly.
And none of us had to do anything special, at all, to read it properly.

>> play with your client's font preferences.  You might have to manually
>> select font families for different encodings (named after localities,

> screw that. this whole thing started us-ascii and then a bunch of crazy
> asses, bg&c included, came along and caused all of problems that make
> whole frigging problem.

Who, the hell, is bg&c???  ;-\

For what it's worth, US-ASCII has always been inadequate, even for plain
old English.  Yep, despite what many would think, English, itself, uses
more than A to Z, 0 to 9, and more than the scant punctuation found on
the QWERTY keyboard.  Accented words are part of English.  When English
adopts a word from a foreign country, it keeps it as is.  Lazily over
time, accented letters lose their accents, but the accented word is
still correctly part of the language, and US-ASCII is *useless* for
representing it.  Ligatures are part of English, ENCYCLOPÆDIA is a
correct way to spell the word in the English language, but US-ASCII is
*useless* for representing it.  And there's a plethora of proper
punctuation that US-ASCII cannot do.

>> probably want to untick the option to allow messages to use other fonts.

> no way, hoza. like i said, i am not screen chasing.

Of course, everyone must pander to you.  Everyone must use the lowest
common denominator...

I'll give you a hint - a hammer is not a screwdriver.  And the name
you're trying to say would be José, but US-ASCII is incapable of it, and
you're not even close.  You probably think voilà is spelt walla, too...

>> Fonts issues are one thing I really dislike about Firefox and
>> Thunderbird, they've convoluted it all to hell, and use *pixel* sizes in
>> a disastrous fashion.

> it is not fault of mozilla products. it is fault of those who keep
> trying to change it for their own personal likes.

The mess of font selection in Mozilla isn't their own fault?  You try
figuring out what they've done.  Something is determined to be Western,
or not, depending on whether it used ISO-8859-1, or UTF-8, and/or
something else.  And they certainly don't give you any easy way to
select the same font for all languages, if you happened to have one that
could manage.  You have to plough through each region, one by one,
customising each one individually, if the defaults aren't good.  Those
who designed Mozilla designed that mess, it IS their fault for such a
crappy way of setting fonts.

> how else are you going to do it if you do not do it by pixel??? think
> about that before you answer.

Um, you seem to have missed the POINT about how to set font sizes, pun
intended.  If the fonts *really* were 16 pixels as the program likes to
pretend, on one screen they'd look like flea poo, on another they'd be
quite big.  Setting font sizes using pixels as the reference point is an
incredibly DUMB way to do it, made even more worse by not actually using
the pixel as the size (it's scaled, yet still calling itself pixel
size).  You can see that nasty effect when you do calibrate a system
properly, putting the *real* DPI into your configuration (that's the
dots per inch that's available to draw with, not something else).

Font sizing should be done by a system like points, where you can pick
an actual font size, absolutely, and the computer system figures out how
many pixels to draw it with.  You want 12 point type on page, you ask
for it and get it in one go, without diddling up and down trying to find
a pixel size that gives you 12 point text.

It's made all the more worse when some dingbat web author doesn't
understand this, and sets pages with 6 pixel or 60 pixel text, because
that looks fine on *their* monitor.

> just look at what has happened. really. nearly every time you open a
> web page some clown has come up with some new whiz bang crappy new way
> to wow public. all it is is more and more waste.

Talk about going off on a tangent...

Yes, I am razzing you.  You left yourself wide open.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.