F8 & F9: Date & Time

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Aug 4 13:47:30 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote, On 08/01/2008 09:28 PM:
> Jeremy wrote:
>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> Do you have the ntp daemon installed? If so check your /etc/ntp.conf
>> file. Also check if the ntp daemon is running (system - administartion
>> - services).
>>
>> Jeremy
> Uh oh, top posting? ;)
>
> Yes, ntp is running and is properly, I believe.  It snaps in
> once I get the time setting close enough.  Somehow time
> is off anywhere from 2-8 hours in the past or in the future
> after a reboot.

A) are you dual booting with windows or any other OS/distribution (even
another instance of Fedora)?
    {perhaps the other OS thinks the hardware clock is/[is not] on UTC.}

B) what are the contents of /etc/adjtime and /etc/sysconfig/clock?
    {repeat this question for each instance of Fedora|Unix installed on the
machine.}

C) it seems strange that the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd is not syncing the clock
before kicking off ntpd.
you may need to add the following line to /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
dostep=yes

D) have you tried adding '-g' to OPTIONS=... in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd ?

E) are you using a static IP or dynamic?
    on a wired network or wireless?
  {Network manager (the default now) works well on wireless dynamic IP
networks, but from what has been said on this list, if you are on a wired
network using static IP's then it is best to `chkconfig NetworkManager off`,
`chkconfig network on`.  if you are on static wireless or dynamic wired, it is
a tossup as to which is best to use.   NM has been set to come up AFTER many
of the services that REQUIRE networking.}

--
Todd Denniston