no sound with totem

Bjoern Schiessle bes at schiessle.org
Mon Aug 4 15:27:05 UTC 2008

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> writes:
> 1 - install package xmms-mp3 (will play mp3)

xmms-mp3 plays mp3 files like rhythmbox which uses also gstreamer.

> 2 - execute 'totem-backend -b xine' (should help with online mp4)

i have also tried the xine backend with the same result: no sound if i
play audio/video files with totem. If i play the with other apps i have
sound.

This is really strange. Gstreamer should be able to play these files
with sound like i can see if i use other applications. But with totem i
have no sound on my notebook. On my desktop PC with the same packages
installed totem can play these files with sound. But i have no idea
where i should start to find the problem on my laptop.

best wishes,
Björn

--
Support Free Software, join FSFE's Fellowship (http://www.fsfe.org)