Planned Obsolesce

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Aug 4 17:28:43 UTC 2008

Robert wrote, On 08/03/2008 11:04 PM:
> Hello World,
>
> As time allows, work is proceeding on moving to a new computer so that an
> older one can be taken down and recommissioned.  This activity provides a
> rational for catching up on newsgroups.  Usenet continues to be a good
> source of information.
>
> A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and
> consider a different respective.  The reply pointed out that Fedora core
> 6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8.  With
> releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of
> only 13 months.  The phrase “planned obsolesce” comes to mind.

"Fedora is focused on ... software  innovations and moves quickly."
from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

> I probably run an operating system install longer than most.  Of the
> machines at home and work that come to mind, one is running 5, two are at
> 6, one at 7, with the latest running 8.  Due to several bad experiences,
> newer versions are installed only when the machine can be taken down and
> the disks reformatted.  Running an older version is not the end of the
> world, but a 13 month support cycle seams a bit short.
>
> The box running Fedora 8 originally received Fedora 9.  It was for a
> project that needed to move forward.  The state of KDE made that
> imposable and Fedora 8 was installed.  That project is now over.  I now
> realize that support will end one month after the release of 10, or in
> around 6 months.
>
> I can see the value of time based releases for publicity and scheduling
> purposes.  It may not be the best thing for those needing continued
> utility and stability.

exactly, for those "needing continued utility and stability", they need a
distro that is concerned with long term support these are generally designated
as 'Enterprise' editions such as RHEL and SLE[DS], or 'Long Term Support' for
Ubuntu.
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

2006-12-30 was certainly a sad day as the Fedora Legacy shut down, but with
out the manpower, what was the point.

> On a different note, my thanks goes out to those who have made open
> source work.
>
> Have a good day,
> Robert H.

http://fedoraforum.org/